Saturday, February 12, 2011

Light of the Evening: Happy Birthday Abraham Lincoln



Our world today needs Abraham Lincoln.
The quotes he left us cannot be shared enough.
Here are a few to remember him on this  anniversary of his birth,
and on the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.






To honor him,
here are some of my favorite quotes
 by Abraham Lincoln:



Character is like a tree
and reputation like a shadow.
The shadow is what we think of it;
the tree is the real thing.


 If we falter and lose our freedoms,
 it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

A house divided against itself cannot stand.


Any people anywhere,
being inclined and having the power,
have the right to rise up,
and shake off the existing government,
and form a new one that suits them better.

 This is a most valuable
- a most sacred right -
a right,
which we hope and believe,
is to liberate the world.


 I am a firm believer in the people.
If given the truth, they can be depended
upon to meet any national crisis.
The great point is to bring them the real facts.


I have always found that mercy bears
 richer fruits than strict justice.

I like to see a man proud
of the place in which he lives.
I like to see a man live so that his place
will be proud of him.


In the end, it's not the years in your life that count.
It's the life in your years.

Most folks are as happy
as they make up their minds to be.

My dream is of a place and a time
where America will once again be seen
as the last best hope of earth.



My greatest concern is to be on God's side,
for God is always right.


The time comes upon every public man
when it is best for him to keep his lips closed.


Whatever you are, be a good one.




With Malice toward none, with charity for all,
with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right,
let us strive on to finish the work we are in,
to bind up the nation's wounds.

 You cannot escape the responsibility
of tomorrow
by evading it today.


With the fearful strain

that is on me night and day,
 if I did not laugh I should die.



Happy Birthday, President Lincoln,
our nation needs your wit and wisdom!


8 comments:

  1. A wonderful collection, I am not familiar with most of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent birthday tribute to Lincoln. He was a wise man. I think perhaps his 'nature' was a key ingredient to his insightfulness as a president.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific post for the day and a great way to celebrate his birthday! Marvelous quotes and many of my favorite! We surely could use his humor and wisdom these days!! Terrific capture, love the trees against that beautiful sky! Hope your week is off to a great start!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful tribute...very nice shot!

    Hope you can take a peek at my SkyWatch Friday entry as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful skywatch post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much everyone for your comments. You are are so talented and I admire your work, so your words mean so much to me. Have a great end of the month!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments, suggestions, and thoughts are important to me. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!